Tuesday, July 14, 2009

WoW, I can tell I'm spoiled...

I felt so inconvenienced tonight. I needed to go to the grocery store, but didn't feel like going to WalMart and waiting forever to get checked out.... I didn't feel like driving to the Albertson's which is farther nor did I feel like going to Food4Less, even though they are cheaper but have kind of a limited selection.

So, I decided to stop at Von's, which I haven't done in awhile with good reason. For months, they have been trimming there inventory back. They didn't have what I was used to buying there; ie: they would have Grape Jelly but not Strawberry Jelly as an example. In the back of my mind I was telling myself, "these guys may as well just shut down, they don't have what I want anyway"!

I wanted to make a quick trip to the grocery store tonight, so I stopped at Von's. Well damn, there is a sign on the window that says, "Von's last day open will be July 11th". Here I sit, reading the sign--my mouth hanging open, lately thinking they may as well shut down because they never have what I want and yet dumbfounded that they had to close.... now I have to drive to Albertson's which is 3 or 4 miles back in the opposite direction. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

In my time of need, they were gone, a convenience that I used to take advantage of back in the day, but now it was gone; the second in less than a year in my area. And yet, I complain, get upset because I have to drive a few miles in the opposite direction to shop at Albertson's which I love, but is kind of pricey. How I have forgotten that we used make a trip of 40 miles once a week just to go to the nearest grocery store when I was growing up, and they weren't even half the store that Von's was. Yep, I must be damn spoiled.... LOL

I am sorry to see that Von's had to close, as well as the Lucky's about a year ago, presumably for lack of sales. I still don't understand why Lucky's closed, I thought it was a great store and always seemed busy when I shopped there. Von's on the other hand, seemed like it had lost touch with the customers and the needs of those customers. I believe they were too quick to eliminate inventory for slow sales, again if you are gonna sell Grape Jelly you have to sell Strawberry Jelly too.... and in more and more areas on the shelves of Von's, this started to be the norm, which is why I eventually stopped shopping there.

But hey, it is just my opinion, but MmmmHmmmm, they ARE closed now.

Have a great day, and thanks for readin!

1 comment:

  1. You failed to mention that we had to drive 40 miles ONE WAY to grocery shop... we are spoiled. I have found Fresh and Easy and even though they are limited they are so quick and easy.

    Just today Wendy was complaining to me that family just pops by and visits now that she lives in Oklahoma with my aunts, uncles and now my Mom and Dad (first day there was today) and we were just griping last night at Karoake (which you didn't show up for...bleh) that we missed having Uncle Dave and the kids here because we missed having family close! We are spoiled... and we need to appreciate what we have because we may not always have it....

    Love ya,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete